Yes, you heard right, Michael Grimm has been asked to return to America’s Got Talent to compete in Season 2 of the Champions Show. We, of course, had to find out all the details so we sat down with Michael to get some answers.
– Hey, how are you doin’?
So we hear you are returning to America’s Got Talent.
– Yeah, you know.
How did that happen?
– Well, my manager received a call from the producers of The Champions show asking me if I would be interested in participating in the show. I honestly hadn’t ever thought about returning to do another competition and I really didn’t know what this show was about so I had to look into a little to see if it was something I wanted to get back into.
So my understanding is that The Champions show is a collection of past winners from all of the different “Got Talent” shows from all over the world.
– Yeah, I believe it’s winners, fan favorites and runners up.
Is that why you had hesitation?
– Well honestly, it wasn’t just the thought of competing against the best that made this opportunity something I had to think about. People don’t realize the pressure and anxiety that come with being in a show like that.
Can you tell us a little more about that?
– Well it’s a combination of things, you know? It’s long hours, a lot of pressure to pick the right material and then the pressure to present that material to the best of your ability. There is costuming, which is tricky because you want to be represented the way you see yourself and not current trends. Then there is the photography, publicity, interviews and that all happens before you even get on stage. So all the build up can ultimately build up a lot of anxiety and stress because not only do you have to deliver on what you have presented but now you are going to be judged by a panel, by America and against other talent. It’s a lot.
But you’ve been on TV before, you have performed in front of tens of thousands of people, even along side iconic stars like Heart, Stevie Nicks, Bill Medley, are you saying the pressure still gets to you?
– Well sure. You are putting yourself out there for everyone to see, criticize… you are basically opening the doors to judgement. That can be a burden for anyone in entertainment. People don’t realize the amount of preparation that goes into that performance they go to see.
So you agreed to do Season 2 of The Champions show.
– Yeah. After a lot of contemplation, I decided to go ahead and do it.
How do you feel about that decision?
– Now that I’ve committed, I’m pretty nervous about it (laughs). I realized that I would have to re-live all those pressures and anxieties I felt the first time around.
Can you tell us what you will sing?
– Not sure yet. Still deciding.
Well, we know it will be amazing no matter what it is.
– Well, thank you. I appreciate the vote of confidence (laughs).
There you have it folks. Michael will be back on NBC starting January 6th to compete on The Champions Show. Tune in and cheer him on!